The information on this page is for staff of the National Oceanography Centre. There are links to internal staff sites and resources. Any information regarding the closure of centres due to say, adverse weather condition will also be posted here.
Coronavirus guidance, actions and information
In line with the NOC policy and commitment to prioritise the Health, Safety and Wellbeing of our staff, we have summarised internally published guidance, advice and information here for your ease of access:
- Health – your safety is our priority. Follow the NHS guidelines on handwashing and hygiene best practice see here. Please also see our home working and wellbeing resources below.
- Travel – continue to follow our advice on travel; no non-essential travel, with any essential business travel being approved by your Group Head and relevant Associate Directors.
- Visitors – as previously communicated we continue to ask that only essential visitors come onto site during this time. Again, any essential visitors should be agreed with your Group Head and Associate Director.
- Workplace – whilst in the workplace we would suggest that we all consider social distancing and the need to meet and gather in communal areas. Consider whether internal meetings need to be held, minimise the numbers involved and consider rooms size such that attendees can spread out,
- Attendance and absence – we have issued guidance for all managers and staff, including a flowchart to determine if you can/should be working from home, this can be found on the intranet. Please ensure you are in regular contact with your line manager. Line managers must report all homeworking to People and Skills and record all absences within UNIT 4.
- Security – be alert that there may be increased phishing attempts targeting fraud at this time and complete the CybSafe training if you have not already done so.
The summary information above is only refreshed once daily, so all staff are advised to keep alert for ‘staff4info’ emails (collated on the intranet) that contain timely Health & Safety information. If you are in any doubt about what action you need to take, or are struggling to receive emails, please contact your line manager, Group Head or Associate Director.
Resources to help you work from home
- All resources have been circulated to you via staff4info email and are also available on CONNECT (you need to be using VPN to access CONNECT)
- For guidance and support regarding remote access and desktop video conferencing please contact servicedesk @ noc.ac.uk
- For a copy of the COVID-19 Guidance for NOC Managers and Staff please contact askhr @ noc.ac.uk
- Please complete the Working from home risk assessment and send to your line manager
If you are feeling anxious or experiencing stress for any reason, you can contact the Employee Assistance Programme at any time. Details of this are on the intranet or can be sent to you by contacting your line manager or (in confidence) People and Skills.
The following are links to external websites which have advice and resources if your mental health and wellbeing is being impacted by the coronavirus.
- Mental Health Foundation (opens external website)
- Mind Charity (opens external website)
- NHS mental health helplines including those for OCD/anxiety/panic attacks) (opens external website)
Useful external links
- NHS Coronavirus overview (opens external website)
- Government response (opens external website)
- Government travel advice (opens external website)
- Public Health England (opens external website)
Link to internal Intranet. You must be logged into the VPN for this to work offsite.