At the National Oceanography Centre we are committed to providing high standards of service across all areas, however we recognise that sometimes things do not go as anticipated. This page outlines the procedures allowing you to raise any problems or concerns about our organisation and staff. We take complaints about our work, staff and levels of service very seriously. If you are not satisfied, please follow the process for raising a formal complaint

A complaint may relate to a number of different areas which may include

  • Improper, inappropriate or insensitive attitudes exhibited by staff
  • Failure to follow stated policies or processes.

How to make a complaint

If you have a complaint, we suggest you first contact the person who you dealt with originally to try and resolve your complaint. However, if you are still not satisfied or would prefer to escalate your complaint, you may ask for it to be forwarded to a team leader or line manager.

If you prefer to put your complaint in writing, please write to us (either to the person who handled your query or to the NOC Secretary) at

  • National Oceanography Centre
    University of Southampton Waterfront Campus
    European Way
    Southampton SO14 3ZH
    United Kingdom
  • Telephone: +44 (0)23 8059 6666

You may wish to contact us via our website using the online contact form; please select “Complaints” as the category.

What information we’ll need from you

We will need

  • A clear, detailed description of what your complaint is about
  • Copies of any letters or emails related to the complaint
  • Your email address or postal address (so we can reply).

We aim to respond to complaints within 20 working days. If we can’t reply to you within this time, we will let you know and tell you when you can expect a reply.

If the problem is still unresolved, you can make a formal complaint to our Executive Director. He may delegate your complaint to an appropriate senior member of staff.

What happens next?

Once you have made your complaint, we will

  • Send an email or letter to let you know that we’ve received it
  • Seek to resolve your complaint and contact you regarding our next steps to resolve the issue.

What to do if you are not satisfied

If you are not completely satisfied with the outcome of your formal complaint to us you can ask for your complaint to be heard by the Natural Environment Research Council.